Sunday, August 18, 2013

"Conflux" by James Byrne

"Conflux" by James Byrne


Book Cover
Described by the author himself as "sometimes funny, often dark, and at times almost prayerful" and I might add perhaps one the best books of rhyming verse published in the last year. James Byrne is a founder member of The Small Impact Writers' Group in Navan and these poems touch on everything from religion to the blues and then some. Rivers of Freedom, Meandering Rivers, Polluted Rivers, Sacred Rivers! It is well worth getting your hands on a copy, though the launch date I'm not sure of, and is I believe to be in the local library in Navan. The lack of a contents page may be somewhat deliberate and leaves you to find out for yourself with the poems gathered in sections of twelve or thirteen though you could argue the toss and perhaps I missed something on a once through. Cost €10. A line or two...

Side B

The claws of a lost cat
Are scratching my brain
And I hear the sad hoot
Of a distant freight train
My transistor radio
Is full of bad news
And rasping my throat
Are these brokendown
Blues.

James Byrne 

No comments: