Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Chivalry and Betrayal

Chivalry and Betrayal

Battle of Naseby
English Civil War.
From Google Images.
.
Watching an episode of the excellent BBC series on the hundred years war the other night and the reference to those who would seek to raise income by the imposition of certain taxes on the local peasantry, the outcome doesn't seem to be at all too lucky for those involved and that even up to the present day. The pull on an English longbow though by the way, was said to be up to one hundred pounds and not very friendly to be on the receiving end of, not that I know anything about archery and I throw that in as an aside. Pastimes on the village green before the advent of the plastic bottle and ice cream. But as I happen to be reading of another civil war and the not so pleasant outcome of that one either it brings me to a poem. Next one up! Have to get out in the sun more. Now I know the image is from the English Civil War. 

No comments: