Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The War Prayer



Michael Sheils read this piece at the Armistice Day poetry reading in the Navan Library and I have to admit that I hadn't heard of it before. It was written by Mark Twain in 1904 but not published during his lifetime due to pressure from his family and friends. Sourcing from wikipedia he is said to have replied to a query as to whether it should be published, "No, I have told the whole truth in that, and only dead men can tell the truth in this world. It can be published after I am dead." Here Willie Nelson presents his own take and as they say in Ireland (No better man). Michael Sheils has other poems up from the day, just click on the link~sherriffromnavan~ over to the right. Other source is from wikipedia.

2 comments:

MichaelSheils said...

That's a great piece Frank. The day I read it in the library there was a gang of men doing renovation work close by as you know yourself and a number of times during the reading they decided to drill holes.Raising my voice didn't help.
I must try it some night when you have your camera. That's a great job you done on the cd much appreciated.
Up ye boy ye!!

Frank said...

Many thanks on that, I picked Willie Nelson reading it. "Highwaymen" and all that!
FM.