Thursday, December 29, 2011

Do not forsake me, My Darling. (High Noon)



Indulging myself as it is the Christmas Season and knowing I've said it before but this is probably the best western ever made and and one of the best films. Shot in real time and black and white it scooped four Academy Awards including the best actor for Gary Cooper and a trailer really doesn't do it justice, or any single clip from the film. There are more than a few on youtube. The stills above go some way to capturing just what it is that makes this a great film as they are beautifully framed, but without the dialogue, I don't know? Every image was part of a much greater scene and the sum was much greater than the parts. No other film captures that lazy Sunday morning feeling where you are just waiting and here it is played out in a town that turns its back on a marshal who made it safe for them in the first place. Katy Durado almost steals it at times and some of the best lines in the film are hers. When she is on camera...wow! And not forgetting the beautiful Grace Kelly.  But the image of Will Kane walking down the empty streets is a cinema classic.

"An admission paid in
As the credits begin
Will Kane walking down Hadleyville
And the train coming in"

Frank Murphy.
(From "The Hell I Will's Fine") 

With thanks to youtube and the guy for posting!

4 comments:

Janet Martin said...

Gary Cooper is one of my favorite actors! Love it! now i want to rent the movie:0 The kids have dubbed TCM as mom's channel...

Frank said...

God, thanks Janet. I didn't half do it justice. Great film!
FM

MichaelSheils said...

Sheriff always gets his man and the odd woman too.

Sheriff.

Frank said...

I think she left on the train!
FM