Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The Big Freeze

The Big Freeze

In a land of abandoned horses, stray dogs and homeless people, the water taps frozen and the lights going out, the budget was today and we've been told we must go the extra mile. But I think I'll just bury my head in the sand and it'll all go away. If I were in charge of the snow I think I'd just request the farmers to get their tractors and front loaders out and clear the roads. But maybe that's using too much imagination. Not the done thing as they say. Just let it melt! If I were in charge of the budget well when you got up in the morning that problem would have melted as well. But back to the extra mile, I came across a stray or strayed collie pup when I was out walking about a week or so back and after I'd spotted him or her for the third time I decided to call a few SPCA numbers, it was a Saturday evening and all I was getting was answering machines, but on Sunday morning Drogheda called back, took the details and called someone from an animal rescue. That lady drove out some distance on a Sunday afternoon, on roads you wouldn't believe and took the dog home! That's the extra mile!

Photo: Kilmessan Village and what the roads look like!

4 comments:

Orla Fay said...

That's nice about the dog Frank. And I'm with you on the roads, it's terrible and we are not prepared at all.

Frank said...

Thanks Orla, hopefully the dog has got his paws up at the fire somewhere.
FM.

sean reilly said...

thanks Frank for posting, my Lagan Love.
Think you queried the origin of The Old House recently? Baltrasna, Oldcastle,is the inspiration.
Have you heard Leonard Cohen sing Kevin Barry on Youtube?

Frank said...

Thanks for info on that, Sean, trying to chase down a poem or recitation about Duhallow written by a man called Dan Sheahan I think.? Have to look up Mr Cohen for sure!